KH also reported that the land drain from the boundary wall to the triangle piece of grass on Redwood Drive is blocked, and hence the water across the road during the floods. It will need to be dug out but probably not until May when the weather is better. The board agreed to the work being done. KH also reported that he needed to apply for the necessary consent under the TPO and aim to do the work in May
Action: KH to apply for consent and arrange for a mini digger and a man.
Website Redesign – On hold
DB reported that he and CG have updated some of the content of the website, CG has also removed some old photos. KH reported that he is waiting for Spring before taking new photos, to take advantage of the better light.
Action: KH to take new photos, DB/CG to upload to website
Door Signage– On Hold
Action: BT and CG to arrange some new door signs.
The board discussed the current arrangements and agreed some changes during the lock down period.
Pellet Hopper – On Hold
At the last board meeting it was agreed to review the process of checking the pellet hopper and purchase any required equipment. CG reported that he had spoken to the company who fill up our pellet hopper, and asked them for some photos of other pellet hoppers, to help decide what could be done to ours.
Swimming Pool Hire Trial – On Hold
CG reported that he had not had any complaints about the trial swimming lessons, currently running on a Tuesday evening, between 4pm and 6pm. A request has been made to extend the lessons until 7pm. The 3 month trial will continue as is, and then the board can make a decision about the extension.
Entertainment Update – On Hold
CG reported the next Curiosity Social – 1st Wednesday in every month at 2pm, will be a speaker talking about Legal and Financial affairs.
Forthcoming events – On Hold
CG reported that he had met Ros and Julie, who are looking to set up a social meeting, starting Monday the 20th April, between 1:30pm and 3:30pm. It will be an opportunity for anyone to come along and just chat, knit, sew, etc.
The board discussed ideas for regular Friday evening activities for kids, such as an X-Box games evening, perhaps a tournament and/or a traditional board games evening. The X-Box games evening would need to be supervised by an adult, BT offered to do one evening.
Action: CG to investigate further.
Funeral Teas Brochures – On Hold
CG reported that he had met with one of BT's employees who had helped with the design of the new brochures. CG has emailed the company who provide the Centre uniforms, a local company, to ask for a quote for printing the brochures.
Driving Insurance – On Hold
The board discussed the need for a process to record that we have checked that staff driving their own vehicles on company business are insured, and their vehicle has a current MOT. The board agreed to reimburse any additional insurance costs incurred.
Action: CG to ask staff who use their own cars, to ask their insurance companies how much business insurance is.
Resident Disciplinary Process – On Hold
DB reported that there is no formal Disciplinary Process policy in relation to transgressions by members and their families and so the board discussed what should be in one, and agreed to set up a new policy, which is to be put into the next Centre Scene.
Action: CG to draft a new policy.
Cellar Flooding – On Hold
The board discussed the recent flood in the cellar and the drains issue around the pool. Yorkshire Water came out and we now know which direction the drains flow. The board discussed various options to prevent the flooding of the cellar and asked CK to bring more detailed options to the next board meeting.
Action: CK to bring options to the next board meeting.
DBS Checks – On Hold
NS reported that he had spoken to the DBS to ask who requires DBS checks and what level we might need. He has received a letter in reply that he has passed onto our HR consultant to review. The board discussed if any staff would need one and the different levels. The board agreed to wait for our HR consultant to reply back to NS.
Action: Review HR consultant reply at the next board meeting.
DB reported that he had seen a new spin bike in the gym just before the lock down period started.
3. Finance Report, including furloughed staff wages
NS had previously emailed the board with the latest Finance Report reflecting the first half of the financial year incurring a loss of £3,419, a break even situation would have been achieved without the fourteen-day loss of bar profits due to the Corona virus lock down. Compared to last year, Funeral teas and bar profits were up but these were more than offset by increased wage expenses and repairs to the roof and sauna.
NS also reported we have requested a Business grant of £25,000 as part of the Government Corona virus program but this has not yet been paid. Also, part of the Government program is relief from Business Rates in the 2020/2021 tax year, for us this will amount to savings of £20,459 but as yet Kirklees have not yet acted.
NS went through the Finance Report in detail and discussed with the board. The board also discussed the average monthly costs, and noted that the Government has increased the lock down period for a further 3 weeks.
NS had previously provided the board with several options regarding residents' monthly fees, which the board then discussed. It was agreed to keep the fees as they are and review on a monthly basis.
The board discussed furloughed staff wages, due to end in May. It was agreed to pay staff their standard hours and review next month.
The board also discussed calculation and the payment date of staff salaries. Salaries and wages are presently developed using a forecast of hours to be worked and paid on the last Friday of each month. This method is cumbersome and frequently results in corrections being required the following month. A simpler method is to base calculations on actual hours worked with payment made the 5th workday of the following month. It was agreed to move to the later payment date and to give 2 months’ notice of this change to staff.
Action: NS to send a letter to all employees.
4. Tree Policy and boundary issue
KH reported that it was 6 years since the Tree Policy had last been updated. KH had emailed the board a draft amended version of the Tree Policy, which the board discussed. The last bullet point was a new one and gives information on who to contact if any tree issues. The board agreed the new policy, with one amendment, to put “Kirklees” in front of “tree officer”.
Action: DB to upload the new Tree Policy onto the website
The board discussed a letter received from a resident and agreed to send a response.
Action: LT to send a letter to the resident.
The board discussed the boundary issue. This is now with Kirklees Council Tree Department.
KH reported that he is in discussions with Barratts also regarding the boundary issue.
5. Changing Rooms – On Hold
DB reported that this item is on the agenda as per the minutes from the last meeting, but acknowledged that it is on hold for the time being.
Date of next meeting:
Directors monthly meeting 14th May 2020 at 7pm.
This e-mail was sent to you because you have subscribed to receive newsletters from Woodland Glade Sports Management Company, 62 The Green, Bradley, Huddersfield, HD2 1QB.